Monday, February 4, 2013

The Plague

We've had to cancel the last two Early On sessions because our house has been a regular petri dish of whatever brand of illness that has been floating around.  Thankfully it looks like we will be getting on track again this week.  In the mean time, I have an activity to share, as well as a new project I have undertaken (because I have so much free time, right?)

Travis had a doctors appointment on Friday, which meant that I spent the morning hanging out with Lyric.  I went to the dollar store the night before, to stock up for the other project I will discuss, and while I was there I picked up some baking soda to clean with.  Lyric seemed bored, and we had some vinegar on hand too, so I decided to do the ole baking soda volcano.  We watch a lot of Bill Nye around here, and she loves it, so I knew this would be right up her alley.

Here are the photos of the result:


Pouring in the vinegar (for a third time)


The excitement of the result


Still excited!


Do it again.

Lyric's Learning Locker Project

I've always been a fan of the Montessori approach to learning.  I went to a Montessori academy for a few years when I was a child, and the difference in the style and effectiveness of the education has always stuck with me.  I like the "hands-on, learn it myself" approach.  That being said, Pinterest (again with the evil Pinterest) has allowed me to find a ton of Montessori style projects that I can do with Lyric, since attending one of the local Montessori preschools in our area is out of the question.  

While looking for Montessori projects, I also pin activities and supply ideas that just seem like they would be fun, or useful.  As the pin board grew, and the supplies I acquired increased, I started to realize I was going to need a more organized space to keep everything together.  On a whim, I emptied out one of the linen cupboards that we have because we had enough room to change the purpose of one.  We already used it to keep things we didn't want Lyric to have 24/7 access to, so adding more stuff made sense.  So, the Lyric Learning Locker was born.  I stocked it up with dollar store art supplies, and made a snazzy sign for it - and I didn't even need Pinterest for the idea! I have also moved a lot of her educational books into it since these photos were taken, but this gives you the general idea:


Snazzy Sign


The dry erase board lists the contents so I know what supplies I have on hand


Top is mostly art supplies


Bottom is potty training and educational/sensory toys


It looks a lot fuller with the books added, but I am too lazy to take a new pic


No comments:

Post a Comment